Tuesday, February 15, 2011

in foxholes (february 2011)

and this is the moment
that I think we can say something,
where I'm getting
a little bit closer
to dialogue

maybe this is just a flutter
a contraction of muscles
and the fire of synapses
but for just a moment
things were tilting on their axis
and I knew.

that even though I'm playing cards
and you want to play chess
and
that we all here move
so frustratingly close
and mind the gap so well
I knew.

when we tilted the world
dropped it on its side
and saw, knowing it for the first time again
I could not help but wonder
if we should set it spinning

and you whispered
loud enough for me to miss it

and even as this madness recedes
I might recall what you said
if only I could get past
the medium

because
if I say I draw inspiration
from the mountains
or the sun through the clouds
or a crying child loved
or the hope of young lovers
I would be lying

for I have never confused
a speaker
for the sound of his voice

No comments: